Skip to main content

The Idea Caravan

Franklin Templeton Investments partnered the TEDxGateway Mumbai in December 2012.

Link to video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88IJCKhsCTE

Here in this video, Angad has correctly raised the issue of study pressure that every student faces in his school life. Running from one coaching to another, getting the homework done in time, preparing for exams and all that kind of stuffs that every student had to deal with. Exams, the pressure cooking time, screws the brain of many.

School is generally considered, in Hindu mythology, as a temple of worship. True. But for some it  is rather a death's door where students are slaughtered mercilessly. But now-a-days, are school doing what is correct? Or rather they are just increasing the competition between friends and decreasing their friendship. All of us might have experienced that when your friend fails, it hurts but only a little and if he comes first and you second, then the wound is very deep and painful. As portrayed in Student of the Year and 3 Idiots, the teacher forces the student for competition thereby decreasing their friendships. School are certainly making the life of students A BITCH.

The condition is more worsened when the results are out. Coming second feels like as if being the first looser. Aptly saying, the 'second guy' is exasperated, abased and catatonic. He looks on his report card as if he is castrated.

Enough of all those philosophical issues. Time to go modern and to the point.

Every now and again when I hear students whine about super hard final exams, endless assignments, and homework which they hardly do, I think to myself, “What did I actually learn in school?” Here, I explore this topic in moderate detail.


Things I learnt in school :



  1. Shakespeare had enough spare time, so he wrote all those play and quotations. Even Rakshit can write better than him when it comes to quotations.
  2. Contemporary history and The Matrix are nearly the same (in general).
  3. Pavlov was a jerk to his dog.
  4. Modern poetry doesn't needs to rhyme.
  5. MS Office is the devil's handy-work.
  6. Hitler didn't had a girlfriend.
  7. Every story writer has stolen my ideas before I wrote them :P
  8. The twisted and shady side of chiaroscuro
  9. Rapping will be introduced in Hindi poetry shortly.
  10. Shakespeare is the real father of rapping
  11. Reproductive system teaches us that S#IT Happens.
  12. Anus is not the front part, rather its the round fleshy back part.


Things I didn't learn in school:



  1. Photography
  2. How long it takes to boil an egg
  3. Where all the pocket money goes and who steals it
  4. Music (guitar or any other instruments)
  5. Dressing sense
  6. Algorithm of shitting (everyone should learn this)
  7. How to impress a girl
  8. Any impressive tricks on computer.
  9. Geeks look smart only in school. Outside they suck.
  10. How to fix broken electronics
  11. The complexity of screwdriver heads ( esp. choosing the right one for a particular screw).
  12. Anything about grout.

Comments

  1. haha :) Geeks look smart only in school. Outside they suck :) Loved that line !
    Jokes apart, yep, our education system probably needs to change. A lot of schools have introduced the montessori system where children dont need to take exams- They excel out of their own interest nowadays. Of course, not everyone can afford it !!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life....served 'crushed' up!

I know that we might never ever be together but still I am writing this to make you understand how much I love you. I know that when you will read this we will be long gone and dusted and you might have even forgotten me and if not, you will only remember me as just a mere man in billions. But my heart has only burnt with love for you, the only one i want in billions, and nothing can change it. But then suddenly the reality kicks me in my butt and reminds me of my life I'm missing out on. It feels like a bad dream and I certainly need to wake up. It all started with a friend request and who knew that one day my heart will start beating for you as if it was made to do so. I miss being the one who made you laugh, happy and even mad. You loved teasing me and I loved getting teased by you. You used to call me 'paagal' and yes, I am 'paagal', 'paagal' for you. Lately I have been losing sleep, dreaming about the things that we could be had there been a differ

Exuberant Love

'What is life without love? And is love any force to reckon with? Or is it the mere feeling masquerading as happiness to one? Or is it getting happy by used someone for their own good?'   The question still torments me. What I believe is that love is nothing that can be seen by eye for the eye only sees things in light but it is the shadow left behind that is the true legacy of love. 

The Best Days: 19 May 2012

European Football was at its zenith as Manchester United, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Barcelona were the dominating teams. Chelsea were still considered underdogs. The UEFA Champions League 2011-2012 was going to begin. Barcelona, the defending champions, were the favorites. None thought that a club from the jolly-olly London would grab the silverware of the Champions League. The groups were announced. Chelsea had Bayern Leverkusen, Genk and Valencia in its group. For Chelsea, finishing first wasn't easy. This team didn't had expensive players, rather the team was dominated by players who loved the team and more importantly, the beautiful game of Football. The Champions League began. In Europe, it's just like a 7 months long festival that binds people of different nations, different accents and different races together. During the UEFA Euro Cup 2012, Russia had to face Czechoslovakia. The teams were against each other for the first time. This moment was histor